There are of course a ton of resources around Common Core – so much so, it can be overwhelming! Parent and guardian support is one of the most important out-of-school factors to a child’s success, but it’s tough for parents to understand the changes and support their children’s education at home. Here is just a small sample of great parent resources out there:
- Be A Learning Hero – this provides some of the best tools and trusted resources about the Common Core, specifically Common Core math, in one easy-to-navigate site. Be A Learning Hero includes practice problems, homework help, videos, and grade-by-grade tips to help parents and guardians better understand the Common Core and support their children’s learning.
- California State PTA – the state PTA has a great set of resources for parents called the Parents’ Guide to Student Success where you can find out what your child will be learning, at each grade level, in Mathematics and English Language Arts with the new Common Core State Standards. You’ll also learn more about how you can support your child’s learning and other helpful information. The guide is available in six languages!
- California Department of Education has compiled a set of resources for parents and guardians interested in learning more about the Common Core State Standards and how to support their child’s attainment of these standards.
- Achieve The Core also contains resources that have been compiled for parents and community members seeking to learn more about the Common Core State Standards, including information on the standards themselves, a “Common Core 101” guide, and information on adoption by state.
- Milestones, presented by GreatSchools, is a a free online collection of videos aimed at helping parents understand grade-level expectations in grades K-5. Milestones show students demonstrating what success looks like in reading, writing and math, grade by grade.